Mushroom House Tours: Voted #1 Thing to Do in Downtown Charlevoix on TripAdvisor, is the ONLY gem car tour in the country that visits over 26 houses built by the same designer, Earl Young. Mushroom House Tours is also The ONLY tour company offering personally designed merchandise that is “Made in Michigan!! Visit mushroomhouretours.com to book online today.
Charlevoix DDA asked Mushroom House Tours owner, Edith Pair, some questions about what makes her business truly unique. Read on to learn more!
1. What are some of the unique elements of your business?
We see and discuss architecture you can ONLY see in Charlevoix and the only tour company in the U.S that visits over 28 structures built by the same person.
Our tours are small and intimate allowing guests to easily interact.
We are the only tour company in Northern Michigan that uses electric GEM carts as their mode of transportation.
2. What product in your business is different from competitors?
The majority of our products are made in USA and all designed by the tour company owner so you can’t find anything like it elsewhere….it’s completely one-of-a-kind. That is a huge selling point to our clients when they know the person who just gave them a tour, also designed the t-shirt they just bought.
3. What service does your business provide that is different than most others?
We provide intimate guided tours of the “Mushroom Houses” that can ONLY been found in Charlevoix, Mi.
4. What is your experience and background?
We started in 2009 with a few walking tours and we did okay. We tried Bus Tours, Trolley Tours, Horse and Wagon Tours and in 2015 tried GEM car tours. The GEM cars were a perfect fit, and we now have fleet of three.
5. What is something about your business that customers do not expect?
Customers don’t expect it to be so small and intimate. They LOVE that they can easily interact with us and what they are seeing and hearing. We have the ability to personalize every tour.
6. Do you have employees? If so, share ways that you help make them feel valued.
My husband and myself run 90% of the tours and have a few part-time volunteer guides. We plan on adding full-time employees in the next few years.
7. What is one of your favorite customer testimonials your business has received?
Favorite testimonial was “This is the BEST tour I have ever taken, and I have been all over the world!”
8. Does your company have a personality and an attitude, and if so, how would you describe it?
Our personality is LAID back and super casual, easy to book and over the top friendly. Our motto is that “We treat each guest as if it were Linda Mueller taking the tour.” (Owner of Castle Farms) as each guest deserves the best tour we can possibly give them.
9. Does your business participate in any partnerships with other local businesses (cross promotion, source local ingredients, etc.)?
We partner w/ Elements Gallery and the Treasure Chest to sell merchandise, cross promote and send as many patrons to visit their stores as possible. We also make sure to always mention the Library, Circle of Arts and Historical Society on each tour to make sure they see as much culture as Charlevoix can offer.
10. Why did you choose to own a business in downtown Charlevoix?
Charlevoix is my home-town and I am beyond lucky to have found a niche business that people truly enjoy and can be successful. I am beyond proud to be able to promote Charlevoix to its fullest and be the best ambassador to our piece of paradise as possible.
11. How has Charlevoix Main Street been valuable to your business?
Main Street has been above and beyond valuable in navigating a downtown business in an extremely seasonal town. I wouldn’t be nearly as structured and successful without the help of Main Street. It is such a blessing to know that they understand every aspect of how the downtown manages and operates and to have the resources they offer is a true blessing for Charlevoix business owners.
Artist website: www.ellair.com